Posts tagged THE AFRO NEWS
Wretch 32, Wiley, Bashy, Scorcher and several stars have lined up in support for BEFFTA This Is Love Concert raising much needed funds for The Stephen Lawrence Centre. The concert which is set to take place on 31st March 2012 at The Light House has major talented names to perform including Omar, Don E, Myco Chris, Dionne Reid, David O, Dego Ranks, Stedman Pearson(FIVE STAR), Ayanna, Aisling O’Reilly, May 7ven, J-SoL.
BEFFTA founder Pauline Long recently caught up with CEO of The Stephen Lawrence Centre Paul Anderson-Walsh who gave her a tour of the great centre, he said, “The Lawrence family wanted to give Stephen’s dream to others. The centre’s initial intention was to be an educational centre, Stephen wanted to become an architecture but he did not get the chance. We have now expanded it and included media centre, business centre, art gallery for exhibitions and more. The memory of Stephen Lawrence is being used to wedge open doors for other people, the centre is open for everyone. Thousands of people have benefited from the centre to date and we would like to continue to give the services to the community but with their help to keep it open for as many years as possible.”
The BEFFTA This is Love Concert is promoting anti-hate/anti-violence, love and peace in London’s special year of Olympics and encouraging communities to come together and spread love and peace. The concert intends to bring unity within different communities through music. BEFFTA This Is Love concert which has support from various media houses including The Afro News and Playvybz radio will be attended by a host of celebrities and high profile guest including Baroness Scotland, Paul Anderson-Walsh who is the CEO of the Stephen Lawrence Trust, Lee Jasper and many more.
Some of the personalities who have joined the campaign are performing artists, creative artists, sportsmen, politicians, nurses, policemen, students, children and people from all walks of lives, all races and all ages.
Junior West Ham footballer and Olympic torch bearer Henry Ochieng Said, “I’m happy to support the concert as it’s for a great cause”.
Top UK rapper Wretch 32 said: ” The concert is for a good cause, I would like to see you all down there”.
Celebrity hairdresser Verona White said; “The concert is going to be great, it’s all about spreading love and giving back”.
Supermodel and designer and the official face and ambassador for BEFFTA This Is Love said: “This is a fantastic cause to suport and I’m extremely happy to the ambassador and face of it. It’s all about spreading love”.
Bigbrother star Heaven Afrika said, “I’m inspired and I want to get fully involved in this wonderful initiative”.
Support The Stephen Lawrence centre and join us in the journey to help in keeping the centre open by attending the concert. The concert welcomes media houses, people of all ages and communities to come together for a good cause.
BUY TICKETS ONLINE IN ADVANCE FOR INDIVIDUALS AT £20, FOR GROUPS £15 http://befftathisislove.eventbrite.com/
TICKETS AT THE DOOR COST £28
Make donations directly to the Stephen Lawrence Trust at http://stephenlawrence.org.uk/
Watch BEFFTA TV CREW AT THE STEPHEN LAWRENCE CENTRE AND ‘BEFFTA THIS IS LOVE’ concert promo
Get intouch with the BEFFTA team at email@example.com
It has been 365 days of researching on BEFFTA nominees and BEFFTA founder who believes in being hands on has been at the forefront of it. Members of the public and BEFFTA Members sent in their nominations with the final decision made by the panel of BEFFTA Members. Today as we mark the beginning of Black History Month BEFFTA awards too marks the beginning of a campaign dubbed as 14 days of showing love and discovering the nominees.
Pauline Long said, “I would like to welcome every black and ethnic person to celebrate the Black History Month by showing love and support not only to BEFFTA awards UK 2011 nominees through voting but to all African/Caribbean businesses, organisations, charities and projects. Together as a community we can achieve a lot. We are a community of talented, intelligent and hard working individuals and groups and the world must know about this. However they can only know about us if we show them what we are capable of doing as a united community. I hope we will continue to support one another not only in the Black History Month but in all 12 months of the year”.
Join the BEFFTA awards UK 2011 voting campaign:
***14 DAYS OF SHOWING LOVE AND DISCOVERING BEFFTA UK 2011 NOMINEES***
Vote online at http://www.beffta.com/news/?page_id=7
After two successful years of BEFFTA awards in the UK and one year in the US, BEFFTA awards UK is back with a prestigious press and nomination launch that took place at Hilton Park Lane on 16th of September 2011 where the nominations were revealed.
BEFFTA awards is the premier award ceremony that celebrates the achievements of both the known and the unsung hard working black and ethnic minority personalities in entertainment, film, fashion, television and arts worldwide under one roof. Among the guests at the launch were supermodels, photographers, film makers, actors, musicians, Djs, promoters, producers, Fashion designers, actors, make – up artists and more.
Specially invited guests on the evening of the launch included the recently celebrated veteran entertainer and British popular soap Eastenders actress Ellen Thomas and Choice FM founder Neil Kenlock who have been great role models for the black community in the UK. The flamboyant double BEFFTA award winning model trainer and the official swimwear model trainer for Sandstorm boutique’s Miss World 2011 fashion show said, “I’m excited about the 3rd annual BEFFTA awards, the award ceremony has laid great foundation for what I am now and I’m so grateful”.
The public nominated in June and July while the panel of BEFFTA members carried on with their research and nomination until September when they came up with the final list. BEFFTA founder Pauline Long said, “the nomination process is usually lengthy and involves intense research but it’s all worth it, you only have to look at the individuals nominated to see that we are a community of very talented and creative people. A lot of the people that have been nominated work very hard behind the scenes and are very talented, these people need recognition for their contribution in the industry and that’s what BEFFTA is about”.
BEFFTA awards voting is expected to begin on 1st October with the main red carpet awards night taking place on 22nd of October at the prestigious Light House.
Even though the public nominations are closed, the public can still nominate in the following categories by sending in names and information about the individual being nominated:
BEFFTA Special Awards (Nominations for this category are still on going. Send your nomination with full details of nominee..ie email, website or links with profiles to firstname.lastname@example.org This special category is not for public voting the winners will be decided by the panel of BEFFTA members. Winners will be announced on 22nd October at the Light House)
- BEFFTA YOUNG ACHIEVER AWARD
- BEFFTA INSPIRATION AWARD
- BEFFTA FASHION ICON
- BEFFTA ENTERTAINMENT ICON
- BEFFTA CREATIVE PERSONALITY
- BEFFTA FEMALE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- BEFFTA MALE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
BEFFTA UK 2011 NOMINEES
- Best Female Act: Dionne Reid, Kadija Kamara, Cherri v, Makeida, Shiikane, 4flava, Ayanna, Lioness, Alexandra Burke, RD, Lil simz, Wyen Solo, Bumi Thomas, Destinee Superstar, Yolanda Brown, Mz Bratt
- Best Male Act: Jermaine Riley, Wretch 32, DEM TWO, Dretonio, YJ, Tinchy Strider, Sway, R.I.O, PW, Pepstar, Lock Essien, Marvylous
- Best Gospel Act: Chuka Royalty, Aaron T Aaron, Rebecca, Diana Hamilton, Sonnie Badu, Uche Ugwu, Four Kornerz, Ejiro, Rudo Zamchiya, Faith Child, Remi Odumesi, Myco Cris, Coco Dupree, Meleke
- Best International Act: Zone Fam, D’ banj, Fally Ipupa, Tu Face Idibia, Menoosha, Simply Chrysolite, Tim Godfrey, Kelly Rowland, Lupe Fiasco, Menoosha, Wiz Kid, Teargas, Tiwa Savage, LeToya Luckett
- Best Female UK based Afro/Caribbean Act: Cythia Mare, Tracy Chanda, Simply Chrystolite, Zita K, Bumi Thomas, Tipsy,
- Best Male UK based Afro/Caribbean Act: Lil P, Mo Eazy, King David, Myco Chris, Lekan Shobiyi, Tu Short, Hyper Hype, 2Kriss, Lanre Japlin, Prince Ade
- Best Producer, Best Touch, Lekan Shobiyi, SHABACH(Beautiful Soundz), master Kraft, Labrinth, The Real Mr Smith, J Weathers, Pepstar
- Best Dance Act Dan-Kira, Akai, Flawless, Diversity, Definitives, Rhimes Lecointe, Boy Blue Entertainment
- Best Dance Choreographer , Kwame Knight, Douggie Dan-Kira, Glenn Hudson, Kenrick ‘H20′ Sandy, Tony Adigun, Johnson(Kid Royal), Anthony Kaye
- Best Comedian Obonjo comedian, Don’t Jealous Me, Adot, Eddie Kadi, Funmbi, Kat Francois, Miss London, Slim Comedian, Prince Abdi, Joycely Jee Esien, Lateef Lovejoy
- Station of the year: Voice of Africa, East African Voice, Inspiration FM, Unique FM, Playvybz, Bang Radio, Zimonline Radio, Colourful Radio, Flames radio, Premier Gospel Radio, Rinse FM, UCB Radio
- Radio personality of the year: Patricia Benjamin , Deoba Authentic, EzraTshisha Sibanda, Yinka Awojobi, Karla Williams, Betty Makoni, Kojo, DJ Abrantee, Eddie Kadi, Kat Boyce,
- Best Community Newspaper: Afro News, The Voice, Trumphet, Testify
- Magazine of the year: New African Woman, FAB Magazine, Nollywooduncut, Flavour, In-spired lifestyle magazine, Hotminute Magazine, Black Hair Magazine, Tropics Magazine, check out Magazine , Crux, Keep The Faith, Women Confidential, fashion finest, Afro Pulp, Lime Magazine, Oh yes, Urban World
- Journalist of the year: Topi Lyambila, Henry Bonsu, Ayo Johnson, Stephen Ogongo, Janelle Oswald, Charlene White, Annika Allen, Lukwesa Burak, Jumoke Fashola, Precious Williams, Rageh Omar
- Blog of the year: Shadders.net, belindaotas.com, Africa Fashion Guide, Soul Culture, msafropolitan, Deeper than twitter, Bella Naija, Art Hustle, Bee Suarez, Miss Jestina George, Mo-am network, Not Just ok, pappzd, The Norte Blog, Africa Batik
- Best Events Promoter Effycom Productions, Mahogany International, Vintage Star, Triforce promotions, Vorte Avant Garde, Talented and Young, IUC Entertainment, Fashion finest, DJA Media, Bigga Fish, K Benson Entertainment, Akwaaba Promotions, Tukdel entertainment, Ultimate praise, Smade, Akwaaba Promotions
- DJ of the year Dj Longers, Dj Unbeetable, Dj Dubwise, Dj Ace and Vis, Dj Dubwise, Dj xclusive, Dj Dego Ranking, Dj 279, Dj Abass, Dj Shimpundu, Dj Shuges, Dj Steve Sutherland, Dj twin b, Dj Candice McKenzie
- Best Photographer Ernest Simons, David Mbiyu, Kenneth Asia, Idelic media and creative photography, Adeyinka Adepitan, Akpe Ododoru, Creative Piece, Femi Touch
- Best Female Fashion Designer: Kamondi Couture, Sandstorm Boutique, Yaa Ataa Couture Bags , Adopted Culture Couture, Tina Lobondi, KiRette Couture, Laurette Lope(Glamelle Boutik), Aj Clothing, Bestow Elan, Chichia London, Leah African design, Anita Quansah, Ayikai couture, Jose Hendo, Ester Ndongala,
- Best male Fashion Designer : Kitoko, Maze Couture, Alexander Amosu, Fabio designs, Zekaryas Solomon, Usher Shegs
- Best Hair Stylist Dionne Smith, Edee Beau, Angela Plummer, Didisa, Junior Green, Eugene Davis, Sandra Webb
- Best Wardrobe Stylist: Crystal Deroche, Christelle Kedi, Shanah-Marie Francis, Tanesha West Carr, Eboni Burrowes, Samantha Watson
- Best Make-up Artist , Sheeba Raye, Edee Beau, Barbara Mensah, Alicia Samuels, Mink London, Sophia Taylor, Dimple Patel Make up, Lola Maja, Karen Salandy, Cre8tive Makeup, Facequizite, Didisa
- Best Fashion Choreographer Kwame Knight, Catwalk Professor, Maxine Griffiths, Reuben Joseph
- Best male model Ibukun Jegede, Prince Nkay, Anthony Kaye, Dwain Stephens, Jason Daniel Best, Zebulun, Delisser, Julius Reuben, Ebrima Sey,
- Best female model Samira Hashi, Nana Afua Antwi, Robyn Henry, Rissikat Bade, Halima Ali, Samantha Watson, Gisela Wanjiru Greiner, Tamar Oluwaseun, Abie Koroma, Shanelle Banton, April Alexander, Rachel Tukdel, Sasha Shantel, Lisette Mibo, Sophie Latoya
- Best Modelling Agency Demus castings, Mahogany Models, Mora Moda
- Best Beauty Pageant Miss Nubian UK, Miss West Africa UK, Miss Congo UK, Queen of Zambia UK, Miss Uganda UK, Miss Ghana UK, Miss Jamaica UK, Miss African Spirit, Miss Elegant International, Miss Central Africa UK, Miss Cameroon UK
- Best Beauty Queen; Casandra Dohmatob, Victoria Okafor, Rissikat Bade, Victoria Matonga, Nzala Chimuka
- Best Former Beauty Queen Nicola Sackey, Flavia Mbazima, Amelia Lola, Sasha Shantel, Laurette Lopo, Maria Namiiro
- Best Beauty Pageant Director Jacqueline Wabara, Nana Tamakloe, Ethel Elaka, Jacqueline Matovu, June Daley, Marvis Osei, Michelle Adams, Justina Mutale,
- Best Film director Obi Emelonye, Lonzo Nzekwe, Otunba Abiola Asalulola, Verona Spence and Dalian Adofo, Adam Deacon, Noel Clarke, Tyler Perry
- Best Actor Phoenix James, TY Bankinson, Jordan Pitt, Ashly Chin, Adam Deacon, Ashley Walters, Femi Oyeniran, Jumayn Hunter, Sam Sarpong, Idris Elba, Osita Iheme, Will Smith
- Best Actresses Ann Akin, Fatima Jabbe, Genevive Nnaji, Omotola, Wunmi Mosaku, Vanessa Adekola, Kyla Frye, Thandie Newton
- Best Film: The Mirror Boy, Anchor Baby, Natashe De Prodigal, Ancestral Voices, Anuvahood, For Colored Girls
- Best screenwriter: Tyler Perry, Anne Akin, Adam Deacon, Lonzo Nzekwe, Noel Clarke, Obi Emelonye
- Best theatre production: Life After Death, Conversations With Love, Love is a loosing game, Lion king, Fela, Estate Walls
- Best Actress Ellen Thomas, Segilola Scott, Bunmi Mojekwu, Wunmi Mosaku, Yetunde Oduwole, Andrea Ama Abaogye, Moji Bamtefa
- Best Actor David Ajala, Wale Ojo, Arinze Kene, Tolu Charles Ogunmefun, Daniel Kaluuya, Jimmy Akingbola, Daniel Anthony
- Best TV Station: OH TV, HI TV, BEN TV, BET, OBE, VOX AFRICA
- Best TV Show , Meet The Adebanjos(OH TV), The Sporah Show(BEN TV), Telling Tales(OH TV), The Magazine Show(BEN TV), Afrika Rising(Oh TV), The Afro Buzz(VOX Africa), Shoot The Messenger(VOX Africa), The Wendy Williams Show(BET), The Monique Show(BET), Wahala show(VOX AFRICA)
- Best TV personality , Shoggy Tosh, Lola Ogunbadejo, Mansour Bellow, Charlene White, Henry Bonsu, Adesope Olijide, Effua Daniels, Angelica Bell, Princess Deun Adedoyin,
- Best presenter: Lola Ogunbadejo, Shoggy Tosh, Adesope Olajide, Effua Daniels, Reggie Yates, Femi Amusan, Liz Yemoja, Melvin O’doom, Rickie Haywood, James Sherwood, Miquita Oliver, Sama Ndango, Mansour Bellow, Sporah Njau
- Best Webseries: Meet The Adebanjos, Breach drama, Don’t Jealous Me(DJM), The Sama Ndango Show
- Best online TV: Factory 78 TV, SB TV, UPSHOT TV, xposure TV
- Best Spoken Word Artist/Poet: Lyrical Healer, Dean Atta, Dumi Senda, Deanner Rodger
- Best Art Director Kwame Knight, Ann Akin, Sam Davis, Ola Shobowale, Christelle Kedi